Why run a Hepatitis A booster campaign for patients from 16 years of age?
While most travellers focus on their first Hepatitis A dose, some may not return for their second (booster) dose.
The booster dose provides travel clinics with an opportunity to help protect patients aged 16 years and above against Hepatitis A beyond 10 years. This can be achieved with Avaxim® or Viatim®. As we approach a peak travel season, now is a good time to initiate a Hepatitis A booster campaign.
A booster dose of hepatitis A vaccine can be given, ideally at 6 to 12 months, and no later than 36 months, after the initial dose in order to help provide protection beyond ten years. For further information specific to Avaxim® and Viatim® please refer to the SmPC.
Please click on the product logos above to view the related prescribing information.
Suggestions on how to run a Booster campaign:
- Team Planning:
- Hold a meeting with the relevant team members to align on the benefits of running a Hepatitis A booster campaign
- Identify Patients:
- Run a report from your patient records to identify those eligible patients who haven't received a 2nd dose of a hepatitis A vaccine in the last 36 months
- Make Contact either by:
- Utilising your recall system to initiate an Email/Phone/SMS invitation
- Creating a pop up alert on their patient record
- Contacting them via post
- Schedule dedicated time for your travel nurse to run the Hepatitis A campaign
- Patient Support:
- Ensure you have a sufficient supply of patient support materials including travel record cards
- Visit Medisa to order patient materials online
- Ensure you have sufficient supply of Avaxim® and Viatim®
Assess and Administer:
- Consider using Avaxim®:
- In patients aged 16 years and above who received a monovalent Hepatitis A vaccine, or a combined Hepatitis A and Typhoid fever vaccine 36 months (preferably 6-12 months) previously
- Consider using Viatim®:
- In patients aged 16 years and above who received a 1st dose of monovalent Hepatitis A vaccine or a combined Hepatitis A and Typhoid fever vaccine 36 months previously and are at risk of typhoid fever
- In patients aged 16 years and above who received a 1st dose of monovalent Hepatitis A vaccine 6-12 months previously and require a vaccine against typhoid fever
How to order
- Phone customer service on 0800 854 430
- Go to www.vaxishop.co.uk
- Contact your Vaccine Account Manager if you would like to receive any of these vaccines on a monthly basis
Date of preparation: June 2019 | SAGB.TRAV.19.04.0609